>

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Oriental Altered Domino Frame


Here is an altered art project I recently completed for a Challenge over on UK Stampers. We had to use a domino or dominos in our work. I chose to go Oriental.

I used a 3 inch square glass frame I had purchased as the base which I decorated and embellished with the altered domino.

I used the following:

  • Glass photo frame
  • Card (metallic gold)
  • Satin Ribbon (3mm Dark Blue)
  • Small metal Chinese coin
  • Stazon Inkpad (Jet Black, Ultramarine)
  • Krylon Pen (24ct Gold)
  • Rubber Stamps ( Stick Background ?, Rubber Stampede-Koi, Kadomo-Bamboo)
  • Perfect Medium Inkpad
  • Decorative Chalks
  • Cotton Wool Buds
  • Flat backed gem (Pale Blue)
  • Klear Floor Polish
  • Glue Dots
  • Glossy Accents
Firstly I stamped the stick background with ultramarine Stazon onto the gold card and trimmed it to fit the aperture behind the glass of the frame. I took a small piece of the 3mm satin ribbon and threaded through the small Chinese coin before applying to the card with Glossy Accents. When dry this was then slipped into the frame where a photo would have gone.

I then used the bamboo stamp and applied Stazon gold direct to the stamp (working quickly) and stamped directly onto the front of the glass as shown, allowing to dry thoroughly. I cleaned the stamp with Stazon cleaner soon after to remove the gold from the rubber.

The domino was decorated on its reverse side as follows: The koi stamp was selectively inked with Jet black Stazon and carefully stamped directly onto the domino. This was allowed to dry and then the surface of the domino was well inked with Perfect Medium. The decorative chalks were applied using a cotton wool bud using a dabbing action and blended this way. The Perfect Medium acts as a glue to hold the chalks. When happy with the effect I placed a small amount of Klear floor polish into an spray bottle and sprayed the domino, bursting any bubbles with a fine pin. I sprayed three times allowing the surface to dry naturally between coats. This provides a shiny glazed seal over the chalk. The edges of the domino were coated with Krylon Gold to finish. The flat backed gem was applied over the eye of the fish with Glossy Accents.

The frame was finished by applying the domino to the frame front as shown with Glue Dots. I particularly like the muted watercolour effect that the chalks provide and the chalk is easy to remove with a paper tissue if you don't like what you have done (prior to glazing, of course).

Hope you like it :-)

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This is stunning Sid! TFS, great tip about the floor polish!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sid, this is gorgeous, and thanks for the instructions. It was a good swap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sid. Just wandered over here from the Elusive Images DT Blog. Enjoyed my visit looking back over the great pieces you have posted previously.

    I particularly like this one and I've picked up one or two interesting tips. TFS

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete

You can still post without entering verification. Thanks so much for your time taken to comment and I really appreciate you doing so !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...